A Review of Story Thieves: The Stolen Chapters

Here I am, having finished the second installment in the Story Thieves series. First of all, the self-referential comments from the first book are nothing compared to this one (I won't say how, because I don't want to spoil anything). The plot can be a bit confusing at times, but things make sense by the time the story is over, and the ride is worth any confusion it causes along the way. This book has shifted gears from the first one; while the first was a wild sci-fi/fantasy adventure, this one is more of a mystery/suspense adventure. Owen and Kiel both wake up with no memory of any events since the end of the first book, while Bethany is imprisoned and in danger. Time is running out, but for whom - Bethany, or Owen and Kiel? I don't want to give away any more; the book reads best when you have very little foreknowledge of its events. If you read and liked the first book, read this one! As an extra note: once you get to the end of the story, don't stop: read the acknowledgements. I know, you probably don't do that (I usually don't either), but James Riley tends to make his acknowledgements funny as a bonus for the readers who read them.

Parental Advisory: violence (I know, it's annoyingly vague, but that's because I'd prefer you consult better sources such as Common Sense Media if you're concerned, which for this particular series you don't really need to be)

Comments

Popular Posts